It is now December and even though I have completed quite a few 5k's and half marathons this past month they were not worth mentioning due to the fact I had to do them all virtually. My Reserve drill weekends were the same day as most of my races which made it impossible for me to run with the crow. I ended up doing the Livermore Half Marathon in March but unfortunately, I did not write out a race report for it. Hindsight being 20/20 it would have been very useful not just for the course but also the pain I have been dealing with since.
During the last few miles of the Livermore HM I felt a pain in my right butt cheek that went down to my toes. At one point it ended up making my whole leg and foot tingle while my butt cheek felt like it was spasming. Problem is, it has been doing that ever since and I cannot stand it. It makes it so difficult to walk and running is almost like a chore now. Come to find out my piriformis muscle is compressing my sciatic nerve. I was told that even though it is rare it happens mostly to long-distance runners. Apparently, I need to stretch a lot for the next few months to help alleviate the pain. I honestly do not wish this on anyone because it hurts that bad. At one point as I ran the Livermore HM I was numb in my right leg but knew I was running. It was the strangest feeling and at first I was worried that something was very wrong but then I just wanted to finish so I could let my body recuperate.
Flash forward to December and I still have piriformis issues but now it is both my left and right leg. I am continuing to do stretching and hope that at some point it will go away. My next half-marathon is not planned but at least I will be doing the Livermore 5k this year, since I have completed the Golden State Half Series this year. I am trying to do some races in February but we will see what happens until then.
No comments:
Post a Comment