I know it has been years since I last made a post on here...and about 5 years since my last triathlon. I would usually say that I feel terrible for not keeping up with racing but I did. In fact the last 5 years I have put in more mileage due to all the 5k, 10k and half-marathons I have ran since 2016. My last race was actually September 15, 2018 while I was deployed last year. It was a terrible race for me and it was right after a 3rd degree ankle sprain. I got lost for about 1.5 miles too but I pushed through and finished with my absolute worst time ever; 5 hrs and some change. Not to mention the temperature when I finished was like 130 degrees outside...but who cares? I finished and that was the last one because of my injuries to my ankle, shoulder, and knee.
It has been over a year since I have thrown a softball, ran in any type of race, swam, etc. But I was in physical therapy for over a year...A YEAR! Thank goodness I had an awesome PT who understood what was important to me--being mobile and still able to do triathlons and softball. I say that because I know I have to start from the bottom as this racing season approaches. Oh, did I say that out loud? Yeah, I am racing this season. In fact I plan on doing the 70.3 Lubbock in June, so I better get my ass in gear. Luckily there is a lap pool in my town, plenty of roads to run on and ride (though I gotta be very careful about cars). My problem is going to be trying to run/ride with the weight that I have gained as I am well over 20lbs heavier than I was a year ago. It might not sound like much but it puts a lot more pressure and stress on my joints and I need to get used to it. The cold weather in Oklahoma makes me not want to get out of bed--let alone get into a pool--but I know I gotta make it happen.
It will be interesting to see how all of this comes to fruition over the next several months. I have a pretty interesting schedule and I know for a fact I can't swim when I go to Cali for drill weekend. I can go for runs and bike inside at the gym but that's pretty dull. When I trained for a 70.3 before I woke up at 3:30am-4am each day and didn't go to bed til 9-10pm. It was a rough life for those few months but I made it work. This time is a little different though because I do not have help with my dog or doing anything at home. The military in me reminds me that I can adapt and overcome but I don't want to cause my poor dog any more stress than he already has. I digress....the whole point of this post is to say...
No comments:
Post a Comment