Monday, January 19, 2015

Welcome to the Grind

Most of you know that today is Martin Luther King Day it important as this day is to our nation and the civil rights movement...not to mention allowing me the luxury of having rights that I cherish personally. San Antonio has the LARGEST MLK parade in the whole USA, just a nice fact for you to store in your mind. However, today is also a training day for all of us on the UTSA triathlon team. This day was probably the hardest day for me to wake up in a very long time because I hardly slept and when I saw the temperature outside my body begged me to stay in the bed.

First and foremost I want to thank my teammate, Garrett, for fixing my bike yesterday and for helping me realize the trouble I was having switching gears and that the noise it makes is perfectly normal. I learned that I also use a wet lube which helps accumulate a lot of dirt on my chain (not good). Him and my other teammate, Leah, were nice enough to let me leave my bike at their apartment so this morning all I had to do was drive over there and ride out with them. I decided to leave at around 0700 just in case there was traffic this morning and made it there around 0735; record timing by the way! No, I did not speed but there was hardly any traffic which made my life easier. Usually it take about 45 minutes to an hour to get to campus which is a nightmare early in the morning. We rode up over by Camp Bullis and did interval training on a bunch of hills. Let me just say that we did 4 sets of them and by the end my quads were burning like a blue-flamed fire. In fact, there was one hill that I was not sure I could even make up because my legs were so dead and it was a pretty long hill, but sure enough I finished. These guys are a lot faster than me so just trying to keep up with them would be ridiculous so I am starting to learn to just do the best I can. Such a hard concept for me because I am used to being so competitive in the athletic world. Today was really good for me though because I severely needed to get some training in as I am far behind everyone else on the team that had a whole semester prior to train with our coach. The ride back was not very hard or bad and it was nice to just ride somewhere other than by my house which gets boring after awhile.

Did I mention I have awesome teammate? Leah made us pancakes and coffee and Garrett made us all chocolate milk after our workout. Have to admit that these guys are pretty cool and I have been learning a lot from them. After that, Garrett showed me how to put my bike rack back on my car so I do not have to put my bike in it anymore. That whole process was starting to become a pain because it also meant I could not put anything in the back seat. Luckily, I will not need my trunk for much since I hardly use it anyway and the bike rack can stay on there forever!

Fortunately for all of us there is no class today which means that I can also relax for a little bit. Later tonight we have swim practice with our coach, which I am excited about. Just not so excited that it is at 2000 tonight because I have to get up at 0430 tomorrow morning for training and then will not be home til around 1400. Then I have to study my butt off for my microbiology lab exam and then swim again at night.

Rise and Shine Motivational Video

Want to know what I wake up to in the morning? This is my alarm sound that I recorded. Probably one of the best motivational videos that I have seen in a long time! Have a great day everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment